Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I've Been Looking So Long at These Pictures of You...


...that I almost believe that they're real.

So go the opening lyrics to the Cure's Pictures of You.

I never realized that so many songs either have something related to photography in their titles, lyrics, or are about photographs.

For instance, there's Paul Simon's Kodachrome, a 3 minute 35 second commercial for Nikon cameras and Kodak's Kodachrome film.

The J. Geils Band was big on photography with Freeze Frame and Centerfold.

Then there's Duran Duran with Girls on Film. The song not only is about photography, it also features a camera's motor drive winding noise.

Def Leppard has their Photograph, and Ringo Starr had his Photograph as well.

Of course there's The Vapors, those one-hit-wonders from the early '80s with the great Turning Japanese.

I'm turning japanese
I think i'm turning japanese
I really think so


For those of you who were wondering (or worried that The Vapors weren't being politically correct) the song is about a guy in prison looking at a picture of his girlfriend. "Turning Japanese" apparently is slang for masturbation.

Which could lead to another story about masturbation songs. Anyone for Chuck Berry's My Ding-A-Ling or Christina Amphlett and the Divinyls' hit I Touch Myself?

No comments: